St. John's

Services

News

About

Contact Us

 

 

A Brief History

The Church was consecrated on 21st September 1760 by the Lord Archbishop of Dublin, Most Reverend Charles Cobbe D.D., of Newbridge House, Donabate  It was built on the site of the ruined Church of St. Brendan on the banks of the Santry River at Tonlegee Road, opposite to the site St Brendan's Well. This new church was dedicated to St. John the Evangelist.

At that time it served a small rural community interspersed with some 'big houses'. Now 250 years later, the area has seen dramatic changes and particularly over the last 40 years, with a massive Urban Development. Many of the former 'big houses' have become urban areas in their own right, e.g. Darndale, Beaumont, Bonnybrook and Kilmore.

In 1820, the rector was Rev Henry Moore of the family of the Earls of Drogheda., and from no later than 1837 to the 1860's, the office was held by William Maconchy, who is recorded as marrying Anna King at the parish church in 1823.

Coolock was eventually placed in Union with Raheny in 1960. The Rector of Raheny was appointed in charge of both in March 1960, and the union was completed when he became Rector of Coolock in July of that year. From then on, there was to be a rector in Raheny, a curate in Coolock (the first was appointed in 1963), two churches, and a shared school (now Springdale National School, Raheny). For over twenty years, the Select Vestries of the parishes were also united, but this ended in 1981.

The next rector of the United Parishes was Rev Wilbert Kelly, appointed in 1970, and he was succeeded in 1975 by Canon Cecil Wilson. After he retired, the next rector was Rev James Carroll. He in turn was replaced by Rev Norman McCausland who is the present incumbent.

Some famous Irish people from or associated with the area include the following:
     Arthur Guinness from Beaumont House,
     Catherine MacAuley (Founder of the Sisters of Mercy),
     St. Brendan,
     Henry Grattan
     Francis Caulfield (Second Earl of Charlemont).